Africa Medical and Behavioral Sciences Organization (AMBSO) www.ambso.org is a ‘Private Not for Africa Medical and Behavioral Sciences Organization (AMBSO) www.ambso.org is a ‘Private Not for profit (PNFP) organization working in partnership with Uro Care Hospital, with Head offices at Nansana, along Hoima Road and satellite office in Hoima. AMBSO conducts a wide range of activities of public health interest including clinical research, community-based health surveillance research, programs for health Care services delivery and capacity building among health care workers and community health workers.
We are seeking to strengthen our staffing position in the Finance Department. Applications are invited from qualified and competent Ugandans to fill the vacant position based at the Uro Care - AMBSO Offices in Kampala as indicated below: -
Job Title: Job Title: ACCOUNTANT - 01 Position
The Accountant will support the Finance Department to accomplish its activities on aThe Accountant will support the Finance Department to accomplish its activities on atimely basis. S/he will undertake project budgeting and expenditure monitoring in accordance with generallyacceptable accounting principles and donor contractual requirements, as guided by the AMBSO Financialpolicy. S/he will also serve as both the Financial Management and Compliance resource to the projectstaffs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage Study budgets, expenditure monitoring, financial reporting and contractual matters to ensure timely
and effective implementation of AMBSO activities.
Budgeting and Accountability:
- Support in the annual and other periodic budget preparations for the organization.
- Budget management and monitoring
- Advise annual work plans process with a focus on budget preparations
- Establish appropriate unit costing aligning activity budgets to the work plans.
- Develop monthly tracking tools to facilitate checking of donor compliance in respect to budgets utilization and ensure that thresholds are adhered to
- Reconcile the project finances and grants and ensure that all costs are linked to the grants
- Monitor budget utilization and communicate any relevant budgetary issues.
- Ensure safe custody of all cash funds and also ensuring that cheques received are banked as appropriate.
- Review and process day to day financial requests (payments, receivables, accountabilities) in accordance with IFRS/IAS and AMBSO institutional policies
- Receive accountabilities for all funds disbursed for field activities and other payments with supportdocuments i.e. receipts, LPOs Vs GRNs, signature sheets etc.
- Assist and/or lead with cash flow management and periodic bank reconciliation and other balancesheet items,
- Ensure that a clear and transparent paper trail is adhered to for all financial transactions, andthat all filing and archiving is in line with the institution and donor requirements
- Perform month end closing of transactions (i.e. posting of entries, allocation of shared expenses,completion of adjusting entries) with accuracy and complete supporting documents
- Perform weekly physical Petty Cash count to ensure that the Excel cash book tallies withelectronic cash book
- Prepare and submit timely and accurate financial reports in accordance with donor reportingrequirements
- Analyze financial reports and provide recommendations to the study Coordinators on futureforecasts and planning.
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports as required by Management.
- Submit timely financial reports using templates that comply with the donors requirements.
- Respond to donor financial queries and recommend appropriate actions.
- Support AMBSO in the use of the financial analysis for sound project financial management
- Support the budget holders in writing sound project narratives in relation to expenditure reports andfinancial risks
- Ensure that all apportioned and operational costs are recovered by end of the financial period
Grants and Compliance:
- Manage all project audits and also implement all audit recommendations
- Ensure adherence to financial controls, donor compliance, processes and procedures
- Provide training on financial management & compliance and ensure compliance and audit readiness
Dealing with Problems:
- Managing a budget that is utilized by staff he/she doesn’t directly supervise
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The prospective candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent. Holders of ACCA/CPA qualifications or equivalent professional training is highly desirable. He/she shouldhave a minimum of 3 years’ solid working experience in a similar capacity in a busy institution withfunding from multiple donors including from the United States Government. Experience workingwith a clinical research institution would be an advantage.
- Must have proficiency in in use of Microsoft Applications (desired applications inclusive of Excel,Power Point and Word and in the use of computerized accounting packages. Specific experiencewith ERP software; Tally and Navision software would be an added advantage
How to Apply:
Qualified and interested applicants should submit their application letter, valid academic documentsQualified and interested applicants should submit their application letter, valid academic documentsand detailed resume (CV) with three recognizable referees;
To: Human Resource Manager Uro Care -AMBSO Office-Nansana. (Behind Bukomero Sevensisters building, Nakuule Zone) Emails: email@example.com. (PDF file only and one document).Applications should be handed in not later than 5:00pm 17th September 2021.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.